University of Melbourne - Arts West Redevelopment
University of Melbourne
2013 – 2016
This landmark LCI redevelopment positions the Arts West Building as a signature building and UoM’s primary learning and teaching hub. The design included environmental initiatives to achieve a 5-star Greenstar Design Certification. Improved student amenities created a stronger sense of community and facilitate innovative teaching practices to support the faculty’s digital humanities and e-teaching strategy.
The key objectives of the project were to:
- Position the Arts West Building as a signature building and the primary learning and teaching hub for undergraduate students enrolled in Faculty
- Co-locate staff and higher degree research students, collections and artifacts from the history and classics disciplines, within redesigned and redeveloped spaces in the Arts West Building
- Increase the number and improve the quality of teaching space in the Arts Precinct to facilitate innovative teaching practices and support the Faculty’s digital humanities and e-teaching strategy
- Improve student amenity and create a sense of community. Improve the energy efficiency and update the services of the Arts West Building in order to assist the University to meet its environmental policy and sustainability targets
The project was designed in 3D using Revit with full BIM capability (LOD 100 – LOD 400) for builders and trades to complete to LOD 500.
LCI’s design services included all building engineering services.
The staging of design and documentation included several packages including:
- Infrastructure additions and enhancements
- Early works package for enabling and demolition
- Main building and fit-out works