A new hospital had to be developed in Adelaide to be able to assist the wide range of patients that were coming in. This new hospital would include areas for emergency services, operating theatres and facilities for patients to recover in.
The New Royal Adelaide Hospital has been designed and includes:
- An emergency department capable of treating 24,000 patients every year
- 800 beds, including 700 multi-day beds and 100 same-day beds
- 40 Technical Suites (operating theatres) - All sized at 65m² to allow for equipment such as MRI scanners to be used during surgery
- Single rooms with en-suite bathrooms for patients, providing space for treatment and rehabilitation, the reduction of the risk of cross infection and greater comfort and privacy
- Gardens and open spaces across the site
- Advanced IT systems to improve patient safety and improved clinical and patient information
- A fleet of automatically guided vehicles to help move equipment and supplies around the hospital
The New Royal Adelaide Hospital on SA’s North Terrace is a stunning new addition to Adelaide's CBD.
The 13-hectare site offers astounding access to public transport links with the city’s bus, tram and rail networks at the Facility’s doorstep. Alongside the new Hospital are teaching and research facilities at the SA Health and Medical Research Institute.
The New Royal Adelaide Hospital is arguably Australia’s most advanced hospital incorporating the needs for some of the most experienced medical professionals and countless innovations from hospitals around the world.