Built on the site of the former Royal Dental Hospital, and across the road from The Royal Melbourne Hospital – City Campus, the $1 billion Victorian Comprehensive Cancer Centre (VCCC), was designed to rival the world’s best.
The brief for the centre was to hold hundreds of talented researchers and clinicians with state-of-the-art technologies. The VCCC development would become a magnet for the best and brightest minds in cancer research, education and training, treatment and care, positioning it as one of the top 10 cancer centres world wide.
LCI provided engineering services to VCCC to facilitate:
• OGTR/NATA/ARPANSA and TGA PC2 Laboratories
• TGA /GMP Clean room spaces;
• Cyclotron – Radionuclie dispensing – Grade C Cleanrooms
• Cytotoxic Pharmacy – Cytotoxic dispensing – Grade B Cleanrooms
• Radiopharmacy - Radionuclie dispensing – Grade C Cleanrooms
• Centre for Blood Cell Therapies – PC3 clean contained Grade B Cleanroom
• Centre for Blood Cell Therapies – PC2 clean contained Grade C Cleanroom
OGTR/AWB/NHMRC and TGA PC2 Laboratories (AWB and NHMRC relate to Animal welfare)
The successful completion of this project resulted in LCI receiving the judge's award at The Australian Engineering Excellence Awards (AEEA) 2016 for the submission Supporting Cancer Research and Treatment through Mechanical Design.