LCI delivers 6 Star Green Star rating for 3 Parramatta Square
- DATE: 17/02/2021
- CATEGORY: CFD Analysis, News
Early this year, 3 Parramatta Square was awarded a 6 Star Green Star rating representing World Leadership in sustainable building design and construction.
According to a recent publication by Elsevier, “Australia’s construction sector makes up 18.1% of Australia’s carbon footprint.’ The largest contributors to these embodied emissions are electricity, water & waste, and materials throughout the years. And as for building engineers, we have an obligation to design with tenant well-being and environmental impact in mind for each and every project.
3 Parramatta Square (3PS) building is part of the $3.2 billion Parramatta Square redevelopment by Walker Corporation, one of the largest urban renewal projects in Australia. This building has been designed to provide a high level of occupant comfort and indoor environment quality without compromising energy and water efficiency. LCI worked closely with the Head Contractor, Built Obayashi Joint Venture (BOJV), to lift the rating from 5 Stars to 6 Stars during the project delivery. Sustainable initiatives include:
- 5 Star NABERS Energy target delivering a 35% reduction in energy consumption in comparison to a code-compliant building. The 1,600 tCO2e reduction is about the same as the emissions from 320 typical homes each year.
- Industry-leading water efficiency in hydraulic fixtures and fittings, hybrid cooling towers, and a rainwater harvest and reuse system that provides annual water savings of over 16,000,000L compared to a standard practice building. The water saved is equivalent to more than six Olympic size swimming pools every year.
- 15% of construction materials by cost is made up of sustainable products with recycled content, third-party eco-labels, or environmental product declarations.
- A third-party verified life cycle assessment carried out on the building’s construction materials to confirm the reduction in environmental impact across 11 impact categories as compared to a building constructed in line with business-as-usual practices. This includes a 22% reduction in embodied and operational carbon or 7,494 tCO2e per year; equivalent to planting 32,664 trees each year or taking 1,433 cars off the road for a year every year over the building’s design life.
This notable achievement marks our first 6 Star Green Star award since LCI Sydney was established.
“As a Western Sydney native, I am humbled to be able to deliver my first 6 Star Green Star building for my community and confident that 3PS will set the sustainability benchmark for all future developments in the precinct,“ said Richard Lee, Senior ESD Engineer at LCI.
For further inquiries, please contact Matt Williams at Matt.Williams@lciconsultants.com.au. Together, let’s work towards a more sustainable future!